A huge THANK YOU to everyone who celebrated World Rhino Day 2013! We look forward to another successful World Rhino Day in 2014. In the meantime, enjoy the World Rhino Day 2013 compilation video!
To raise money for the Auckland Zoo Conservation Fund (which currently supports Rhino conservation) all our Rhino keepers are having their heads shaved on Rhino weekend!
Auckland Zoo will have the following activities:
- 3 Rhino encounters each day.
- Each visitor to the Zoo will receive a handout with a Rhino quiz and a rhino colouring in activity.
- Rhino touch table with rhino artifacts
- Competition to guess how much a wheelbarrow full of Rhino poo weighs
- Display of how much food a Rhino eats per day
- Display of Rhino enrichment items
- Rhino hats as giveaways
- Information displays about the 5 different types of Rhino
- Information about our 3 rhinos and how to tell them apart
- Information on the different features of rhinos, i.e., their ears, horn, skin etc.
Connect with Auckland Zoo on Facebook.
Check out what people in Australia and New Zealand are doing for World Rhino Day! Join them if you can!
- Taronga Western Plains Zoo in Dubbo is holding a number of fundraising and awareness activities, including donation buckets at special keeper talks for visitors and Zoofari Lodge guests, a ‘palm-print rhino’ art work installation and more. Funds raised will be donated to the International Rhino Foundation.
- Auckland Zoo is celebrating rhinos with rhino chalk drawings, rhino hat giveaways, rhino activity sheets, a display of rhino food and enrichment, rhino encounters, and competitions.
Hosting your own World Rhino Day event? Click here to add it to the official World Rhino Day event map!